Tuesday, 12 August 2014

Top Ten Books I'm Not Sure I Want To Read

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish  and after seeing these posts everywhere I decided that this Tuesday I would join in with the Top Ten Tuesday fun, yay!


I know I want to read all the books I currently own, so these are books I've come close to buying but have some doubts and inner conflicts over whether I want to read them or not!


Top Ten Books I'm Not Sure I Want To Read 

Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion 
As an avid fan of zombies, I'm usually super excited to read any book with zombies in, however, although Warm Bodies has a a unique take on zombies (zombie/human romance I think?) I'm just not sure it's something I will enjoy-  it sounds odd, zombies and romance don't seem as if they will mix well together, but at the same time I'm quite intrigued by the concept. Books with romance as the central theme admittedly aren't my favourite , but there are zombies so I might like it?





Feed by Mira Grant 
Again, as a fan of zombies, my expectations are quite high and I'm mighty scared of being disappointed by this book. It's set post zombie apocalypse and follows two bloggers trying to uncover the secrets behind it. It sounds like a fun, thrilling and fast paced zombie book but I'm scared of being let down! I don't want to give bad ratings to zombie books!

Something Strange and Deadly by Susan Dennard
Sticking with the theme of zombie books I haven't read yet, Something Strange and Deadly is a steampunk zombie novel and seems like it has a strong female protagonist and interesting plot - someone is controlling hordes of the living dead, the same someone who has taken the protagonist's brother hostage. It sounds so interesting but at the same time, I don't think I'm a massive fan of the romances in young adult books and I'm sure there will be one in this book but I'm not sure how much I will like it? (please no insta love)

The Fifth Wave by Rick Yancey 
I've seen a lot about this book and a lot of mixed reviews, I've heard about a flimsy romance/love triangle which, again, usually just gets on my nerves and completely ruin a book for me. I'm hesitant to pick this book up, but the alien and apocalyptic elements are telling me it might be rad? Also, there's a film, based on the book in the making so that isquite encouraging! 

Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder
This book gets a 4.18 average rating on goodreads (so it must be good!?) and sounds really intriguing but once again, as with a lot of highly rated young adult books, I'm scared of being in that one percent that unfortunately ends up disliking the book. Also, there are six books in the series and that's quite daunting! I'm reading quite a few series and don't want to start another just yet!

Grave Mercy by Robin Lafevers
After reading the Throne of Glass series, I have been searching for other books with a strong female assassins as the protagonist and stumbled upon Grave Mercy on goodreads. It's about assassin nuns, yes, assassin nuns- need I say more? But once again, mixed reviews ignite that internal conflict on whether I want to read this book or not.

The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness
I have to admit I'm not entirely sure what this book is about, but I've so many recommendations of this book that I kind of want to read it, but at the same time, I'm sure I've read this synopsis and it didn't seem that interesting, particularly as I can't really remember anything about it? I'm quite fussy when it comes to writing style and the way a book is written, so when I heard that the writing style is very colloquial and incorporates a lot of slang I naturally doubted whether I want to pick this book up.

The Diary of Young Girl by Anne Frank
Although I recognise the historical importance of Anne Frank's diary, I'm not sure why but I always  feel slightly weird reading works, especially diaries and personal letters that have been published posthumously. It almost feels as if it's an invasion of privacy and this keeps me quite hesitant about picking up this book of my own accord. Maybe one day I will finally be able to dispel these uncertainties.
The Bone Season by Samantha Shannon 
 I've heard lots of good things about this book, and for that reason my expectations are quite high and I'm scared of having them crushed. It sounds mysterious and interesting but some reviews have said it's quite boring, I don't want to be disappointed so I'm not sure whether I want to buy this or not.






The Lord of the Rings by JRR. Tolkien
I've been meaning to read this for the past three summers but never got around to it. I want to read it but the size is a little scary and I've just not felt in the mood for such a large book. I'm slightly scared of getting confused with all the names and hopefully one summer I will finally feel in the mood to read this. (hopefully!)







That's all of them! Have you guys read any of these? If so, what did you think, would you recommend them!?

What books are you not sure you want to read!?

6 comments:

  1. Lord of the Rings is the type of story that you think, "The author must have been mad to have so much material consuming his mind!" Lots of detail and he keeps you interested. The incredibly thick books could be a deterrent but it really is a great read if you are on a long road trip of have time to invest.
    Zombies...that is probably on my list of books that I am unsure that I want to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure I want to read Feed either. I read Parasitology by Mira Grant and didn't really enjoy it. I also just read the entire Something Strange and Deadly series and I only felt okay about each book in the series. I wouldn't really push it on you. The 5th Wave though...I loved that one. I also loved Grave Mercy too. Read TLotR in 2004 and really enjoyed it too. Granted the first book was harder for me to get through because there was like 150 pages that I was completely confused with what was even happening. Other than that...I enjoyed it.

    TTT
    Sandy @ Somewhere Only We Know

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm curious about Feed. I really liked her Parasitology book and I've heard amazing things about this series. I HATED the 5th wave. The main characters is so stupid, it made me want to poke my eyes out. Poison study is a wonderful book, the same for the sequels. The third book pretty much wraps everything up, so if 6 books is too much you could always keep it at 3 :) but I'm very thrilled there will be more!

    And please, please, please, go and read Grave Mercy. You seriously won't regret it. Ismae is bad-ass, but at the same time flawed and her romance with Duval is amazing. There is a lot of action and the political aspect is very well-written. It's an amazing series and one of my all time favorites.

    Mel@thedailyprophecy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, the world building in The Lord of the Rings does seem in depth and extensive, I'll probably try to read it when I have lots of free time to fully absorb everything!
    Haha, I love zombies but I can see why people don't share my love for all things zombie related, lots of gore!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your thoughts, I'm still on the fence about the zombie books so I might give them a miss for now. The Lord of the Rings sounds like one of those books that at times you need to slog through but in the end it's worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah wow, I might give The 5th Wave a miss for the time being, stupid characters sap the fun out of books (and I like my eyes, I don't want to feel like poking my eyes out too!)
    Three seems like a more easy going number in a series and definitely quells some of my long series fears. If everything's wrapped up by book three then everything else must seem like bonus content, which sounds pretty cool!
    Grave Mercy does sound super awesome and something I would really enjoy, thanks!

    ReplyDelete

thanks for reading, feel free to leave a comment and have a great day you human beans!