Thursday, 2 July 2015

June Wrap Up!



Hi guys. This month I read some books, wasted a lot of time on the internet, saw a band, and spent a lot of time looking after tortoises. I kind of want to name my wrap ups something other than 'wrap ups' but I'm struggling to think of something cute and unique. Anyway, here are the highlights of my month!

Books 


Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens 3/5
Despite all the musicals and adaptations I was quite unfamiliar with the story of Oliver, before starting this book. I had assumed the story was about an orphan child who joins a sort of street urchin gang and boy, was I wrong. The story is so much darker than I was anticipating. Dickens pits the evils of the criminal underworld in contrast to the innocence goodness of Oliver. Ironically, the story seemed focused on all the characters surrounding Oliver, rather than Oliver himself; in fact Oliver was a boring character. There was quite an anti-Semitic vibe going on with all the references to 'The Jew.' It was quite bothersome, despite Dickens rebuttal of such claims.

What Happened to Goodbye by Sarah Dessen 4/5
As a young teen, the only books I read were by Sarah Dessen. In light of her latest release, Saint Anything, I pondered over reading my few unread Dessen books. Before I knew it, I'd bought and read What Happened to Goodbye. The story follows Mclean who moves from town to town with her father, inventing a new identity in each one, following the messy divorce of her parents. She has to come to terms with her past and be real with herself as well as her new found pals. The familiarity of Dessen's writing style made me all nostalgic and I really enjoyed reading this! There is a good dash of romance, family issues, and coming to terms with yourself and your past all bundled together in this adorable book.

Rat Queens Volume 2: The Far Reaching Tentacles of N'Rygoth by Kurtis J. Wiebe  4/5
I read the first volume a couple of months ago and this second volume is such a great follow up! There's more sass, more sorcery, more rat queens slaying and being awesome! The characters in this series are my favourite thing and are really what makes reading Rat Queens so enjoyable - they are all diverse, complex and awesome. The illustrator changed and so the art style is a little different, but it's still retains a similar style and doesn't detract from the reading experience. This series combines complex female characters with a brilliant sense of friendship and an action packed fantasy world, and definitely impresses!

Music



I've been a huge fan of Young Guns for years, and I finally got to see them live this month!! They released their new album, Ones and Zeros this month and it's pretty much all I've been listening to. #onrepeat  Go check them out, my favourites are Speaking in Tongues, Daylight, Rising Up and Lullaby.


Everything Else

I'm an avid Buffy fan, and spent most of my childhood obsessed, like really obsessed. I collected action figures, trading cards, mugs, magazines, flannels even (everything pretty much) This obsession has slowed down a bit in recent years, but it's still smouldering away deep inside. Hence, the poster. When my sister told me she was getting one, I knew, I had to get one too. It's the same poster that Buffy and Willow have on the door of their college dormitory. Like I said, obsessed. Also I love chocolate and pretty things, so this is double perfection.

The poster in all it's glory!

That's all I've got for today! 

How has your June been? 
Read any of these books? Listened to Young Guns? Are you a Buffy fan too!? Leave your thoughts below!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for reading, feel free to leave a comment and have a great day you human beans!