Friday, 22 January 2016

3/52 // on unconventionality



Unconventional adjective
not based on or conforming to what is generally done or believed

Unconventionality, is an old friend of mine. I was an unconventional five year old and I'm an unconventional twenty year old. I'm sure I'll be an unconventional fifty year old and an unconventional eighty year old.

For a long time I've seen unconventionality as a weakness, something to be embarrassed about. Most likely due to the emphasis society puts on being 'normal' (see usage of words such as 'weirdo' etc,) Yet, at the same time it's something I've almost subconsciously embraced. I love doing unconventional things and most of the things I do, I do unconventionally. I still feel pressure to be 'normal' conventional, to change in order to fit in, and almost be this cookie cutter version of who everyone expects me to be, but I'm trying really hard to accept and even embrace my unconventionality. I guess what I'm saying is it's fine not to do what everyone else is doing, to be how everyone else is.

I've often been dealt an unconventional hand in life, I've made unconventional choices, and my future plans are unconventional (marriage and kids is not my thing.) I'm slowly learning to embrace my unconventionality and sometimes it's cool, sometimes it's not. Being unconventional has moulded me into a more open minded and compassionate individual but at the same time has confused people around me, sometimes it's hard for other people to accept or understand. Maybe that's something I just have to accept and move on. Unconventionality is kinda my thing and I'm going to embrace it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for reading, feel free to leave a comment and have a great day you human beans!