Friday, 15 January 2016

1/52 // on hobbies and passions


Hi everyone, this is the first post in a series I'm starting on this blog! I'm literally just writing my thoughts about an assortment of topics, every week in 2016 (or trying to at least) I always have an abundance of thoughts and figured, why not share them? They're a bit messy because apparently that's my style but I hope you find them interesting, entertaining or thought provoking  in some way. 

I'm not sure where I first heard the term,, but recently I've come to realise I am a serial hobbyist. For my entire life, I've never had one singular hobby or interest I'm passionate about. I have a plethora of hobbies, I love books, music, bands, games, tv, film, anime, art but I'm not passionate or singularly interested in one more than the others. One week I'll be reading all the books, the next I'll be playing all the games, the next I'll drop everything to be consumed by my love of music. 

Where it comes from, I'm not sure but I always feel an external pressure to define myself as something singular and to have a main passion in life. Even outside of hobbies, society asks you to have a singular answer to questions. From 'what degree are you going to study' (choosing one specific degree area) to 'what ethnicity are you?' (they ask a mixed race girl) everyone seems to expect singular answers to questions, which for me, have no singular answer. When it comes to hobbies I'm always a bit confused. I want to do and be everything but feel passionate about nothing in particular. Sometimes it gets so overwhelming that I end up doing nothing - I want to be a part of everything but end up being apart from everything. It's a confusing life and I'm always faced with the difficulty of trying to be everything at once. Maybe it comes down to indecision, maybe it's a fear of dedicating myself to something, maybe I have a case of thinking the grass is always greener on the other side, maybe I do give up when things get difficult, maybe i'm scared of failing, or maybe it's just plain lazinesss!?

I don't think I have to box myself into one niche, one interest or one passion but I find it so difficult to manage and make time for all my hobbies. Sometimes I feel as though I can't enjoy what I'm doing because I have so many other things I want to do and it almost feels like a waste of time if I'm going to loose interest in that hobby for a couple of months. But for now I guess this is who I am. I definitely want to make more time for my hobbies to alleviate this time pressure I always seem to feel. Maybe that is the solution to this problem, if I stopped procrastinating and used my time wisely maybe I could do everything?

Maybe one day I'll find that one true passion everyone else seems to have, but for now I'll be passionate about my mixture of interests, my spark of fire fuelled by a range of sources. I'll be passionate about my lack of singular passion and accept that I'm just not satisfied with one hobby or passion. I love different things about my hobbies and I get something different from each of them. I may never be the most advanced or expert reader, gamer, musician etc. but I'll still come back to most of my hobbies, even if I do neglect them for a couple of months. Writing this has kind of inspired me to put more effort into my hobbies and actually make time for them and enjoy them in the present, rather than fretting over whether they are a waste of time or somehow unproductive. If i'm having fun then it's not time wasted and it's silly to give up on something because of the amount of time it will take because the time is going to pass regardless.

After all, if I want to flit between hobbies, I'm going to do so. I'm not going to feel guilty for not being niche, or singular or devoted to one passion. But I am going to persevere in my more creative hobbies. I want to finally get back into learning instruments (that's one I should not neglect for months) If I manage my time I'm sure I can get past this mental hurdle of almost giving up on all the things I want to do. If I believe I can do all the things, I will be able to do all the things. After all, I'm fine with being a Rosario of all hobbies and I want to be thoughtfully being consumed by a different passion, week to week. In the wisdom laden words of Shia Labeouf, maybe I just need to do it and not let my multiple hobby dreams be dreams?

xoxo I'm not sure how I got to this conclusion, but thanks for taking the time to read this stream of consciousness that probably makes very little sense! It's really relieving for me to write my partially edited thoughts and I'd really love to hear someone else's thoughts!!
(leave a comment, I value your opinion!) 

2 comments:

  1. I'm definitely a serial hobbyist too, so I totally relate to what you've said in this post! My current hobbies are reading, listening to music, writing fiction, blogging and photography, but I've previously been into all different kinds of art and crafts and have tried to learn multiple instruments. I would love to do so many things, but there just isn't enough hours in the day :(
    I don't think there's anything wrong with being like that though. I guess that way you get to try loads of different things, and I do find there are certain hobbies I return to more than others (writing, for example), so I guess that must be my true passion?
    Awesome post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time is definitely the biggest problem/enemy serial hobbyists must face :( *serial hobbyist solidarity*

      I totally agree about being able to try out lots of different things, variety is the spice of life, and I guess maybe part of the attraction? trying new things is always such fun! I think I return to some of my hobbies more than others too with things like reading and music but not really to the extent that I'm 1000% passionate about them? But writing is such a cool passion to have because you have the possibility of turning it into a career! If you return to it more than others then you must have at least some extra passion for writing and storytelling! Thanks for your thoughts! -blushy face-

      Delete

thanks for reading, feel free to leave a comment and have a great day you human beans!