Saturday, 13 February 2016

6/52 // on social media and procrastination


I'm a super procrastinator. A super super procrastinator. Some days it seems like all I've done is procrastinate. 

And my main form of procrastination is mindlessly surfing the interest, because according to my brain, picking up random and largely useless information is better and perhaps easier than doing something meaningful. I would have used the word productive but I've realised meaningful is a much more appropriate (and meaningful) word to me. I want to spend my time usefully, doing the things I love and that are important and worthwhile to me.

It's so easy for me to procrastinate and accidentally spend two hours mindlessly scrolling through social media, being neither social nor creating any form of media. After all that is why it's called social media. Absent-mindedly browsing and not engaging with inspiring content just isn't what social media is there for.

So I've been taking a bit of a social media detox and man it feels great. I've made the rule to only use social media if 1) I have something meaningful to share or create, or 2) if i'm going to engage with content I admire, appreciate or find inspiring. I want to make the most of my time and that means leaving absent minded browsing behind. I'm starting to use social media with a purpose. Alongside creating a day to day schedule which I've mostly been keeping to (yay) and doing a little bit of meditation every morning, I'm starting to feel like I can make time for the things I want to do. I used to feel rushed, restless and a bit claustrophobic in my own mind because I had so many things to do and was so unorganised, as well as having the aforementioned procrastination habit. Sometimes I'll slip up and indulge in some good old procrastination, but that's only to be expected from a long time procrastinator.

My days feel more meaningful, I'm getting more done and overall I feel a bit more content and relaxed during the most stressful period of my life so far (last term of university!)

Do you guys find yourself absent-mindedly scrolling though social media? facebook, twitter, tumblr? How do you guys feel about the social media and procrastination? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for reading, feel free to leave a comment and have a great day you human beans!