Thursday, 11 February 2016

favourite albums released in 2015




















I love music. The older I've gotten the more I appreciate each element of music, the instruments, the vocals, the lyrics. All of it combines into a sonic adventure I keep returning to. These are the albums released last year that I kept returning to. Give it a listen and hopefully you will find something pleasing to your ears. 


Behind The Devil's Back by Fightstar

Fightstar are one of my favourite bands, I saw them twice last year and they released this amazing album in the autumn! It's a bit heavier than their previous albums and the album art is amazing, as usual! I've been a casual fan since their last album (released five years ago!!) but over the past two years I've found myself listening to Fightstar more and more. For me, they're definitely a band I can listen to over and over.
Recommended listening: Sharpe Tongue, Sink With The Snakes, and Behind The Devil's Back 

Life's Not Out To Get You by Neck Deep

I started listening to Neck Deep last year and this album has definitely made me a fan. They're a self proclaimed 'generic pop punk' band and their sound is very pop punk but not to the extent that you can't tell their songs apart! I really love the lyrics and again, the album art is very unique and the design is visibly hand drawn! 
Recommended listening: Gold Steps, Kali Ma, and Smooth Seas Don't Make Good Sailors. 

American Candy by The Maine

One, this album was released on my birthday (so obviously I was going to like it!?) But I really fell in love with this album over summer. The Maine are a band that has a song for every mood you could possibly have. This album has a lot of quite uplifting and positive songs but also some deceptively sad and deep tracks. That's my favourite kind of album though, so American Candy is a definite winner for me. 
Recommended listening: (Un)Lost, Same Suit, Different Tie, and My Hair. 

Cry Baby by Melanie Martinez

I forget how I came across Melanie Martinez, (maybe her style?) but this album kinda blew me away. It's a concept album which I think is quite rare but something I love! The lyrics are really quite clever, pairing quite mature and controversial themes with words and sounds from childhood. Pity Party is also inspired by Lesley Gore's, 'It's My Party' and that's kinda my jam. Melanie Martinez has such a cutesy aesthetic or style and it makes me love her as an artist even more. 
Recommended listening: Pity Party, Mad Hatter, and Mrs Potato Head. 

Froot by Marina and the Diamonds

I got into Marina and the Diamonds a few years ago and I've always loved the complexity of her albums. She takes a different approach and style to each of her albums and Froot, her most recent album did not disappoint. Froot has a more mature sound to her previous albums which isn't unexpected. It has quite a unique sound and her voice is amazing! 
Recommended listening: Blue, Solitaire, and Froot. 


Ones and Zeros by Young Guns

I've been a fan since I was a teenager and I love everything Young Guns create! This year I finally saw them live and it was amazing! Ones and Zeros has a bit more of an electronic sounds to their previous albums and is definitely less heavy but they still retain their Young Guns sound. I think they're quite an underrated band so check them out! 
Recommended listening: Speaking In Tongues, Daylight, and Lullaby. 

Future Hearts by All Time Low

I've been such an All Time Low fan since I was a young teen! They always give me pop punk nostalgia and are such a throwback! With the exception of one album, I've always been super pumped about All Time Low albums and Future Hearts definitely delivered! It's a solid pop punk All Time Low album and I highly recommend watching the music video for Something's Gotta Give! 
Recommended listening: Something's Gotta Give, Missing You, and Kids In The Dark. 

The Mindsweep by Enter Shikari

I've mostly only listening to their newest albums but I've become quite a big Enter Shikari fan. I love the political nature of their lyrics and the way their albums always seen to bend genres and incorporate all different kinds of music styles into one album! 
Recommended listening: One True Colour, The Last Garrison, and Anaesthetist. 

I even complied a playlist of all my recommended listening! 


What are your favourite songs or albums released last year? (or recently, the first month of the year is nearly over!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for reading, feel free to leave a comment and have a great day you human beans!