Sunday, 5 June 2016

15/52 // procrastination x perfectionism

the action of delaying or postponing something

Hello, yes, I am a procrastinator. If there is one thing I can do without even having to try, it's procrastinate. I'm procrastinating sleeping right now and there’s a 100% chance I procrastinated writing this. I wrote a post about social media and procrastination a couple of months ago and I was doing well for about a month or so, but I’ve slipped back into my old procrastination ways. Maybe sharing this on the internet is my way of trying to curb it, to help hold me to account or something along those lines.

So how do I procrastinate?

Sometimes, I’ll generally peruse the internet, and get a little bit lost there. If my room is spotless, you know I’m procrastinating. Trying on every article of clothing I own is a good one, takes a lot of time. Spending three three hours crafting extravagant oatmeal cakes, only for them to go wrong and taste bland is another.I’ve even procrastinated by lying on my bed and staring at the ceiling for a good hour, although that’s arguably more of an outright avoidance of work than procrastination.

But where does this all come from and why I am so I reluctant to just get stuff done? My priorities are all wrong, but why? I’ve pondered over this for what seems like an eternity, and now I'm sharing the process of procrastination and some reasons I've identified for my procrastination.

First, it starts with a lack of self-control. You’re guilty of favouring immediate gratification over the long term. Cleaning your desk will make you feel better than stressing out over an essay, so you choose to clean your desk. It’s productive because you’re getting something done. It’s easier to mentally cast the essay into the abstract realms of ‘I’ll do it tomorrow,’ than stress about it in the here and now.

Next comes the overwhelming perfectionism. You've built the task up into a seemingly insurmountable task, and on top of that you've got high expectations about how it should be done. It’s become so insurmountable that the very thought of it makes your stomach flip with anxiety.


And lastly, that flip of anxiety only gets more intense with time. This is worse when the task is time sensitive. Every day of procrastination just adds another layer to the anxiety, until you finally break and realise you only have 24 hours to get this thing done. And then you rush things, leaving them half-finished, and end up pretty disappointed with the end result. Things could have gone so differently if only you had more time. Nothing to do with procrastination, nope. 

After that last close shave, you vow to never procrastinate again but somehow the cycle continues. 

Where do I go from here? I’m not really sure to be honest. I’m going to take up meditation again, schedule my days properly, and start being mindful about internet usage and other unnecessary things. ‘Start where you are, use what you have, do what you can,’ is my guiding quote for this mission. Maybe accepting procrastination as a part of my life will lessen the guilt and disappointments, and even help combat it? We shall see.

Are you a procrastinator too? How do you deal with it!? 

4 comments:

  1. Interesting perspective! I actually remember reading an article which said that procrastination comes from perfectionism because it is the fear of starting something if it cannot actually be done perfectly, and I think there is a lot to this theory. Not always, because sometimes we just procrastinate because we are lazy, but I do think that much of my procrastination or unwilling to even start something I was interested in was due to the fact that I only wanted to do it if it could be done perfectly.

    Rae | Love from Berlin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, that's interesting. I feel like most serious procrastination comes down fear of failure or perfectionism, but they're kind of similar. I've been there with the procrastinating because I want something done perfectly, or sometimes it's because I want to nail something on the first try but I'm scared that I might fail to live up to my expectations. Thanks for reading! xo

      Delete
  2. Hello Lovely, thank you for visiting www.igaberry.com

    Procrastinating is to me sometimes a way to switch myself off and take time off from everything I suppose to be doing. I am not a notorious procrastinator but sometimes I do catch myself on doing it for slightly too long. That's why I use my alarm clock and set it up e.g. 30 min later to start tasks I should be doing.

    I would love to connect with you on multiple platforms if we have not already:
    Bloglovin: https://www.bloglovin.com/blogs/igaberry-13323143
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/igaberry
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/igaberry1

    Love, Iga x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're lucky! Or maybe just much more disciplined than me! Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try the next time I catch myself procrastinating. The audiable sound of an alarm might be just what I need to get my brain out of procrastination mode! Thanks for reading!

      Delete

thanks for reading, feel free to leave a comment and have a great day you human beans!