Sunday, 2 October 2016

A grrrl playlist

I haven't posted a playlist in forever, so today I''m sharing a Grrrl themed playlist. It's essentially a playlist containing empowering songs by some of favourite female musicians.
grrrl playlist feminst cassette doodle
It's a playlist inspired by the Riot Grrrl movement which was essentially women taking music into their own hands and making music by themselves, for themselves, and challenging the male dominated music scene. Very feminist and very much my kind of thing. 

I divided this playlist into two parts - hard and soft. 

The hard songs to me, are songs that motivate me to get up and go, to challenge everything, and feel tough. They're about being angry, remaining strong and being true to yourself. They remind me that women can do and be anything. 

The soft songs are equally as strong and remind me that there is strength in being soft. They're very introspective and are comforting reminders that it’s okay to take your time. Most of them are soft in tone and sound, and the lyrics are some that I find uplifting or comforting in some way. 

GRRRL PLAYLIST
Tracklist



HARD


  1. Gangsta- Kehlani
  2. Rebel Girl – Bikini Kill
  3. Glory and Gore – Lorde
  4. Hurricane – Halsey
  5. It’s My Life – No Doubt
  6. Anklebiters – Paramore
  7. Baptism – Crystal Castles
  8. What You Waiting For? -  Gwen Stefani
  9. Bad Reputation – Joan Jettt
  10. Typical Girls – The Slits
  11. Bad Girls – M.I.A
  12. Oh Bondage, Up Yours! – X-Ray Spex
  13. My House – Pvris
  14. Gimme Chocolate!! – BABYMETAL

SOFT


  1. Crybaby – Melanie Martinez
  2. Eau D’bedroom Dancing – Le Tigre
  3. I Am Not A Robot – Marina and the Diamonds
  4. Lions! – LIGHTS
  5. Before the World was Big - Girlpool
  6. It’s My Party – Lesley Gore
  7. Sugar Water – Cibo Matto
  8. Super Rat - Honeyblood
  9. Dreams – Fleetwood Mac
  10. What’s Up? - 4 Non Blondes

 Hope you enjoy and let me know which artists and musicians you have been listening to recently! I'm always looking for more great music from great women so definitely share some recommendations in the comments! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for reading, feel free to leave a comment and have a great day you human beans!