Saturday, 31 December 2016

2016 accomplishments



Needless to say, 2016 has been pretty dreadful. Politically and socially the world seems an increasingly unstable place. Between Brexit, Trump, and further escalation in the middle east, it’s not been a great year. Fascism and racism have gone unchallenged in the mainstream media and it's really disappointing and frightening.

Personally, 2016 didn't go according to my (very loose) plans and has been full of ups and downs. It felt like an impossible year, and has gone by in a bit of a blur.  I spent the first half of the year trying to write two dissertations in a very sleep deprived and stressed out state, and the rest slipping in and out of a void, trying to keep my head above water. It's been hard and slow and challenging but I've been trying to spark some positivity and optimism back into my December bones. Following in that spirit, here are an assortment of things I accomplished this year.

I FINISHED UNI AND GOT A DEGREE!?

I started the year consumed by University and essay writing. I literally spent the first weeks of 2016 writing essays, and then working on my two dissertations until May. It was stressful but I did it. University has always been a challenge for me, and it feels as though I struggled through for so long. It was quite a relief to just be done, and I'm more proud of myself for having endured and survived uni than I am about my actual degree. Just to have survived and made it through is achievement enough for me.

I WENT TO A LOT OF GIGS.

I saw Panic! At the Disco for the first time ever in January and it was everything fifteen year old emo me wished for and more! Then I saw them again in November which was pretty damn amazing and so lucky! Being able to see Panic at the Disco live was a great start and end to the year. Brendon Urie is such a precious inspiration to me, and makes me want to pick up and learn all the instruments! I fell in love with Letlive and the Front Bottoms this year, and finally got to see Melanie Martinez and Pierce the Veil! Live music is one of my absolute favourite experiences, I find gigs so exciting and thrilling and amazing and always feel so lucky to have been there. November 2016 will always be known as that time I went to four gigs in the space of two weeks!

I LEARNED TO RIDE A BIKE

I'm twenty one and can finally ride a bike! After watching Stranger Things, I felt compelled to learn. So me and my Mum took our bikes to the park and practised. I fell over a couple of times but got the hang of it pretty quickly because I was pretty damn determined! It's a small accomplishment and may seem insignificant to people who learnt as a child, but it's a big deal to me. I kinda feel like I've made up for something I missed out on, and I just enjoy the sense of accomplishment it gives me. Overcoming a struggle and all that.

I Turned 21

Wow, my inner sixteen year old self thinks I'm getting old. My future 60 year old self is telling me I'm still so young, there is still so much to do, so much to come.

I DID NEW THINGS

I carved a pumpkin for the first time ever and it turned out pretty creepy and cute! I also played life is strange for the first time and started watching Steven Universe! Another accomplishment was the time I went on a trip with people I didn't really know and survived! (even managed to have fun!) This was the year I ventured to a lot of new museums by myself, and went roller skating for the first time! I started using highlighter and got low-key obsessed. Makes me feel like a magical girl. I also convinced myself to try veggie sushi again (after hating it the first time I tried it) and I'm so glad I did! I've been craving it for the past month, and I've even bought myself some seaweed to create my own DIY style sushi.

I Rediscovered my love for running!

I've been running pretty consistently for the past month and want to continue into the new year. Running makes me feel great and keeps me feeling fit and healthy! I've also (kinda) conquered my fear of running during the day + have become more comfortable running when other people are around. I realised 99% of people don't pay attention to you at all. Sometimes I still feel a bit self conscious and anxious before I embark on my run, but once I get going I feel free and fine and fit.

I PUBLISHED 60 BLOG POSTS

A good number for me, considering I've been a bit preoccupied this year! I put a bit more time, effort and thought into my blog this year and want to continue to do so! I had a lot more fun with my blog and branched out of my comfort zone quite a bit. I want to post more consistently and write more

Regardless of how the year has gone, we are still here, still enduring, still surviving, and that's something to celebrate. Hope you have a lovely new year and I really hope things will get better in 2017. I know it's just another day, but here's to hoping the collective effort of people bettering themselves will produce something good!

If you want,  share three things you've accomplished this year and we can cheer for each other! Thanks for reading and have a fab day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for reading, feel free to leave a comment and have a great day you human beans!