Wednesday, 14 December 2016

being a crybaby and seeing melanie martinez live!

crybaby
A couple of months ago I tried out a Melanie Martinez inspired makeup look. I haven't worn eye shadow since my emo days (felt cool at the time, in retrospect not so much) so this was a pretty momentous occasion for me. I find Melanie Martinez a very inspirational figure. Her style, her creativity, her music, it all inspires me greatly and makes me want to be more creative in absolutely everything I do. So I pulled together a couple of outfits that fit the crybaby aesthetic. My crybaby colour palette consists of white for hope and innocence, pink for kindness, red for passion, and blue for those crybaby tears.

I, myself am a little bit sensitive, a little bit emotional and a little bit of a crybaby. Crying is often seen as a sign of weakness, but crying, showing emotion, and being sensitive does not make you weak. In fact, I always feel better after crying, it's as though all the garbage clouding your head is expunged with your tears. Dealing with your emotions makes you strong, regardless of how you outwardly process them. I remember crying as a child, about things both big and small, and sensing other people's frustration as they couldn't personally understand why I was upset. So I guess I want to give a friendly reminder not to invalidate someone else's feelings. If someone is upset, they are upset. Regardless of whether it makes sense to you.

crybaby

Onto brighter things! I was lucky enough to see Melanie Martinez in London last month and wow, it was an experience. If you're familiar with Melanie Martinez, you'll know her music and performance has a cutesy and childish aesthetic, but lyrically her songs are quite dark and mature. The contrast between the two is what makes her music so interesting. And for me, what's most striking and admirable is how consistently she maintains this image. Perhaps it's good branding and marketing, or good artistry, or maybe the perfect combination of both? Either way I love it, and find Melanie Martinez's creativity magical and inspiring.

Below are some of the photos I took! They're quite low quality, but I don't mind too much. I treasure them because they remind me of ~that gig feeling~ you get when everyone in the room is singing and enjoying the music, and you feel a bit giddy about being in the same room as someone you creatively admire. It was an amazing performance and I feel so grateful and lucky to have experienced it!

Melanie Martinez gig concert Hammersmith Eventim Apollo
Melanie Martinez gig concert Hammersmith Eventim Apollo
Melanie Martinez gig concert Hammersmith Eventim Apollo

Are you a crybaby or Melanie Martinez fan?  Let me know! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for reading, feel free to leave a comment and have a great day you human beans!